A Piece of Cake Designs A Piece of Cake Designs home FAQs view cart

Tuesday 11 November 2014

TUTORIAL TUESDAY - Anna Allan; Cut It Up!



Hello!
I'm back with another layout created with the October Cupcake kit.


So how did I go about creating this layout?
Let me give you a run through...

BACKGROUND CARDSTOCK: I was feeling quite daring and thought I would challenge myself by moving away from my 'normal' choice of white cardstock. This time I went for a slate coloured background cardstock. I felt that it would make the papers and embellishments shine a little more.

PAPERS AND PHOTO: Ok, so the first piece I chose was the yellow/white stripe patterned paper from the kit. And then I chose a photo from 'the pile' that teamed well with this paper. 


Now, let me give you a little insight into me - I got back into scrapbooking 18 months ago now and was the kind of person that really struggled with attacking a perfectly good piece of paper or an embellishment with the scissors and making shapes and such with it. Strips was my limit!
I don't know why I had such a complex about it BUT over time I have challenged myself and learnt to let go and just create with more freedom and experimentation.

So for this layout, I grabbed those scissors and CUT IT UP!
I cut triangles in different sizes, cut out words and phrases from one of the papers, slashed a doily in half!

And so this brings me to the DESIGN:
I snipped along the diagonal of the striped paper and placed the pieces top and bottom of the page.
I decided to keep the photo in a landscape position and work other papers around to fit in and still keep the page balanced. The placement of the papers were arranged in a way that they take on a 'mirror image' type effect. I think this really helps with the balance and keeping that straight 'panel' on the page yet still incorporating interesting angles and perspective.


EMBELLISHMENTS: To finish things off, I have embellished the page with the paper dots, flair, and those awesome little puffy stickers I love so much -- ALL from the kit. The only thing non-kit I used was some Heidi Swapp Colour Shine ink splatters - I just can't help myself...I just gotta splatter ;-)


Well, I hope you have been inspired in some way.
Thanks for dropping by!

Anna xx




No comments:

Post a Comment

 
A Piece of Cake Designs Blog, All Rights Reserved
Blog Theme by Mod Melon Creative